HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO WEEKI WACHEE?
As a follow up to today's 'WHERE YA AT' segment, I wanted to provide a few more facts because this place is pretty fascinating!
10 Facts about Weeki Wachee Springs State Park
1. One of the US's deepest & naturally formed underwater cavern
2. Purchased in 1946 by Newton Perry who thought it would be a good location for new business. There were no gas stations, stores or grocery stores and as a matter of fact, you had to look pretty hard to actually find people!
3. Since the location was not thriving with people, he had to attract them somehow and started experimenting with underwater breathing hoses. He actually invented a method of breathing underwater from from a free-flowing air hose supplying oxygen from an air compressor.
4. What's next? Build a theater so people could come and look at the spring at eye level. They could enjoy the spring by staying bone dry.
5. Next, gotta bring the hot ladies! Taught them how to swim, smile & breathe through tiny air hoses at the same time!
6. There were a few movies filmed at the spring, Mermaid & Mr. Peabody.
7. The mermaid show isn't the only thing you'll find at Weeki Wachee. They also have gardens, jungle cruises, a beach and even an Indian encampment.
8. Weeki Wachee was named by the Seminole Indians.
9. Weeki Wachee didn't become a State Park until 2008.
10. The mermaids are hot and you should go there!